Welcome, lurkers. As you may know, I'm a writer of speculative fiction and poetry. While I publish short stories under the name A.D. Spencer, feel free to call me Ariyana. Here you'll be able to read about my upcoming projects, learn about new releases from my favorite small publishers, and maybe even read a few free stories of mine.

Enjoy yourself, and feel free to leave a comment if something sparks your interest.


Saturday, July 16, 2011

Novellas Own Me

I must really enjoy pain. Or else I certainly wouldn't have taken on so many projects at once.

Novellas. They are an under-appreciated breed of story, don't you think? However, with e-publishing, they seem to be a little easier to sell in e-book format. Recently, novellas have taken over my life. I'm currently working on a novella collection with a few of my fellow Guild of the Fantastic Quill members. I'm also desperately trying to complete two other novellas for upcoming contests. Then, there is, of course, the Wicked Bag challenge.

So, last year, I signed up to take part in a writing challenge with Wicked East Press and the result of the challenge was a great anthology called Wicked Bag of Horror Tales edited by Jessica A. Weiss and M.S. Gardner. My short story "Muerte in a Small Town" was included in the book. Basically, the challenge was to give a writing prompt and take one in return.

Well, the creative madness returned, and, yes, I signed up. The challenge this time around? Use a Suspense Prompt to write a novella. Despite the pile-up of novella projects, I'm actually pretty excited about this last one.

Now, I must say, this is going to be a dream come true for my mother. She has been dying for me to get more involved in the thriller/suspense/mystery genres. Here's to you, Mom.

No comments: