Welcome, lurkers. As you may know, I'm a writer of speculative fiction and poetry. While I publish short stories under the name A.D. Spencer, feel free to call me Ariyana. Here you'll be able to read about my upcoming projects, learn about new releases from my favorite small publishers, and maybe even read a few free stories of mine.

Enjoy yourself, and feel free to leave a comment if something sparks your interest.


Monday, December 5, 2011

December's Super Blog Post

Happy holidays, everyone!

This is an exciting time of year, isn't it? Or, maybe I should just trade out the word "exciting" for "stressful." Everyone has their fair share of busy work this season, cleaning house for guests, shopping for gifts, working extra hard at their retail jobs. Usually, by the time Christmas Eve rolls around, I'm standing between a group of fussing family members, having a Clark Griswold style freak-out and giving the "Hap-Hap-Happiest Christmas" speech, cursing included.

But, Christmas isn't entirely to blame. It's almost as if we're all running about in a mad rush to finish as much as humanly possibly before the arrival of the new year. As if we can somehow defeat Father Time through our will alone. (Note: this method only seems to work during the college years, when essays are due the next morning.) Writers, of course, are not immune to the crazy.

We wrack our brains, check our graphs twice, count our filed submission emails...just to see how much work we put in over the past year. How do the stats add up? Did we put in enough effort? Should we have spent more time at the keyboard and less time watching Big Bang Theory? Should we have spent more time at a Word doc and less time on Facebook? The answer to both questions is simple: "yeah, probably." Which only adds fuel to the New Years Resolution fire... But that's a topic for another blog.

Let's get back to 2011, shall we? I can honestly say...this wasn't the best year ever. Not for my personal or professional life. And I'm not alone, which is somehow even more heartbreaking.

Had some great experiences with small publishers, though, and I also came up with a few characters I hope are going to fully come out to play next year. The "started in 'll" line-up includes a paranormal series that doesn't take itself too seriously, a kid's book that has truly tried my patience, a handful of superheroes who are simply begging me for more adventures... It's been fun. Half of me wishes I had another month in this year to work on projects, the other half just wants to start fresh in January with a full to-do list and 12 months to complete it.

~*~

Since my last update, my story "A Mind Most Desirable" has been accepted into Pill Hill Press's steampunk anthology CONQUEST THROUGH DETERMINATION. This Submission Call is still wide open, so if you'd like to give it a shot as well, please check it out here. "A Mind Most Desirable" has been one of those favorites sitting lost in my "completed stories" file, awaiting a home. It started out a hefty 13,000 words and was slowly trimmed down each reading until it hit below the 10,000 mark. Obviously, it's steampunk, with a large cast, set in England during the Victorian Era, but it's also a bit of a murder mystery at heart--I'll gladly admit, that aspect was completely inspired by my mother's love of Agatha Christie.

"A Mind Most Desirable" was also my first serious attempt at writing steampunk. My second attempt (my first accepted) was called "A Gun for Jebediah" and is due out in the soon to be released STEAM WORKS by Hydra Publications. (And I do mean soon. I'll post when the listing becomes official.)

Also, over the past month, I took part in Pill Hill Press's Shootout. Think online creative writing workshop. Authors write short stories based on prompts, then the stories are sent out anonymously for other writers to critique (also anonymous). This Shootout, the host held a contest in the final round for those with the highest scores, and I ended up winning! (Using the "Bragging Rights" part of my prize here.) Now, I've got four stories ready to go (after some editing) find new homes. If you want to participate in the next Shootout, keep an eye out at the Pill Hill Forums.

~*~

Lastly, let's talk shopping. It's December. Gifts are expensive. You probably don't have a very heavy wallet right now. Which means you're not going to put aside much money for yourself this month. So, let's talk cheap thrills, shall we. (Also, yes, self promotion.)

For those of you out of the loop, Kindle books don't require actual Kindles or e-readers of any sort. You can get the software free for your PC at Amazon.

With this in mind, there are a few ebooks that are listed at prices too good to resist. Oh, and I have stories in these.

PATENTED DNA
Kindle Price: .99
Published by Pill Hill Press, this is a collection of dark clone stories at a price that can't be beat. That's right, a whole anthology for less than a buck... Get it while you still can.





MONSTER MASH
Kindle Price: 3.99
Published by Pill Hill Press, this is a collection of horror tales where monsters of all types meet and duke it out. Come on, now, treat yourself. Your inner monster geek needs this book.






WICKED BAG OF HORROR TALES
Kindle Price: 3.99
Published by Wicked East Press, this is a collection of nine tasty, novelette-sized horror stories. For those who like a bit of meat on their bones.






Ok, let's say you don't have a couple bucks. Well, I happen to know that, through the month of December, Permuted Press is giving away free e-copies of five of their zombie books. I'm not in any of them, but I'm sure they're still great, even without me. Check them out at the bottom of their sales page, here. They also have several books for 2.99. (I plan on checking out Autobiography of a Werewolf Hunter, myself.)

~*~

Well, until next time, friends... Stay safe as you brave the malls, watch out for crazed shoppers with knifes and pepper spray, and have a bit of fun this holiday season.





1 comment:

PatriciaLouise said...

Catching up, lol. And procrastinating as well. Great blog post, and I loved the book suggestions. I've gotta get started on my Jan. list as well.