Welcome, lurkers. As you may know, I'm a writer of speculative fiction and poetry. While I publish short stories under the name A.D. Spencer, feel free to call me Ariyana. Here you'll be able to read about my upcoming projects, learn about new releases from my favorite small publishers, and maybe even read a few free stories of mine.

Enjoy yourself, and feel free to leave a comment if something sparks your interest.


Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Procrastination Tamer

Yes, as in, lion tamer. 'Cause, frankly, procrastination can be a six-hundred pound, clawed killing machine for writers.

Readers of my fanfictions probably assume that I'm dead, but I'm not. I just wish there was a way I could tell all of them that I've been concentrating on a different spectrum of the writing world over the past few weeks: freelance.

A few weeks ago, I got my first check for writing articles. It was downright tiny compared to the work that went into it. But, I've got to say, I was glowing on the inside. I really was. Finally, after all these years, I'd gotten paid for writing something. And, obviously, a small number of people out there were reading that something.

It occurred to me that the check was a symbol of the future. While I expect the checks in months to come to get larger, and I expect also to not only be working for Associated Content but other sites as well at that time, I can't help but see what that tiny check means.

I suppose it's the same for any writer who doesn't strike it lucky the first go-around. The check means that someone can get paid for their passion. I can get paid to do what I love so much. But, if I stick to this course, the monetary payment is always going to be smaller than the work that was put into it. No matter how successful I become as an author or freelance writer, I'm always going to have to put more effort in to it. Because it's what I love. And if you love something, that's what you do.

And it'll be worth the hard times. And the lack of nifty gadgets. The possible second job that bores me to tears.

It'll be worth it to be doing what I adore.

Love means sacrifice. But the rewards are always far greater than what was given away.

So, in order for me to pursue this love, I must make that sacrifice, and the lamb will have to be my other personality, the one who can procrastinate herself out of going to the bathroom for an hour.

This procrastinator plans to be very, very busy in the months to come, as she attempts to take hold of her old faults and use them. I will continue my fanfiction. I will always be writing on my original fiction (I write on it nearly every day, I simply do not always form enough of it to post on a site or to talk about). And I will take control of my freelancing and produce the articles I need to produce to get to the next level.

1 comment:

PatriciaLouise said...

All right! I totally support you in all of this!