Welcome, lurkers. As you may know, I'm a writer of speculative fiction and poetry. While I publish short stories under the name A.D. Spencer, feel free to call me Ariyana. Here you'll be able to read about my upcoming projects, learn about new releases from my favorite small publishers, and maybe even read a few free stories of mine.

Enjoy yourself, and feel free to leave a comment if something sparks your interest.


Monday, December 29, 2008

At least you're alive...


My Christmas wasn't that bad, not really. Not in comparison.

Last year my mom was sick. This got me thinking. She had a bad fight with a kidney stone and suffered from infection and sepsis. She has had blood poisoning in the past. A total of four times (once within her pregnancy with my half sister, then with me, then with two of her many kidney stones). Thinking about that, and the fact that the mortality rate is around 20%, puts me on edge, but it also makes me thankful. Alive. We're alive for another holiday.

Sure, there might be crying and screaming and more crying. Let me tell you, I had to put the broom down at one point this holiday. For sake of criminal charges, I won't explain that statement more than this: don't yell at someone and not expect me to interfere. I interfere--it would be best if the person making the offensive statements wasn't around me when I have a weapon. Anyhow...onward.

My point is, no matter the depressing state, there's always that one little thing that gives you an edge: you know you're alive. If you're reading this, you're alive. You're here, even if no one else is, even if your life is falling apart around you. Alive. And, likely, well. For the moment.

So be thankful and take advantage of that. I don't seize the day. I am the day. I lay on my Roman pallet and dine on dark chocolate. I think about life. I live. I live. I live.

So there.

I hope everyone had a great holiday! But if not. Well, you know.

1 comment:

Savvy said...

good point deary, we are alive and we must live....and be glad that we are alive